- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- District of Columbia
Matthew J. Bernhardt
Matthew Bernhardt is client-focused and results driven. Matthew’s practice focuses on plaintiff’s personal injury and domestic relations but he has extensive trial experience in both civil and criminal defense matters.
Plaintiff’s Personal Injury
In his plaintiff’s personal injury practice, Matthew is dedicated to helping individuals who have been injured as a result of the negligence of others. He understands how an accident that occurs in just one moment can impact an individual and their family for years to come. Having started his career representing those in the insurance industry, Matthew has a unique understanding of the tactics and strategies used by insurance companies in the defense of injury claims. He regularly handles claims arising from auto accidents, dangerous products, wrongful death, and property owner negligence.
In his domestic relations practice, Matthew represents individuals during one of the most challenging chapters in their lives. Matthew understands that these matters require a high level of sensitivity, and ensures his clients’ best interests are protected when making decisions that will have long-term personal and financial implications. Matthew’s strong negotiation skills come into play when striving to reach amicable and workable resolutions on behalf of his clients. These skills ultimately achieve results more quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively than litigation. Matthew handles prenuptial agreements, divorce, spousal support/alimony, child custody modifications, same-sex adoption, and other related family issues.
Matthew zealously advocates for clients in various civil litigation matters to achieve the best possible outcome for them. His client-centered approach ensures that each case is handled with diligence and responsiveness during all stages. He regularly appears before state and federal trial courts in the State of Maryland and in the District of Columbia.
Matthew graduated from the United States Naval Academy with a B.S. in Systems Engineering in 2005. After completing two deployments in support of the Global War on Terrorism as a Surface Warfare Officer, he returned to Annapolis to work in the Office of Admissions at the Naval Academy serving as a Regional Director, directing recruitment and marketing efforts in 7 States and 2 U.S. Territories, and as a Program Manager for the Summer Seminar and Blue and Gold Officer programs. Matthew left active duty to pursue his legal career and continues to serve as a Lieutenant Commander in the active Navy Reserves.
Matthew resides in Annapolis with his wife Sarah, their sons Luke and Gabriel, and their three crazy dogs.
- American Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association
- United States Naval Academy - Blue and Gold Officer
- Operation Paws for Homes - Volunteer Foster
- Service Academy Business Professionals
- Fishing Creek Farm HOA, Inc. - Vice President of the Board
- United States Naval Academy - Centers of Influence
Honors / Awards
- Whats Up? Annapolis Magazine Leading Lawyer 2016-2019
- Super Lawyers – 2015-2020
- 2014 MSBA Young Lawyer Summit
- Represented business client in a contested Board of Public Works (Governor, Comptroller, and Treasurer of Maryland) hearing and successfully argued in favor of granting a contract award in excess of $417,000 from State Highway Administration for client.
- Negotiated numerous personal injury and contract settlements on clients’ behalves against individuals and public and private entities.
- Secured nolle prosequis and not guilty verdicts on behalf of clients for criminal and serious traffic offenses.
- Obtained multiple jury trial verdicts in favor of clients in civil lawsuits.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D., 2013)
- United States Naval Academy (B.S., 2005)
- Sixteen Council Baradel Attorneys Recognized in What's Up? Magazine's "Leading Lawyers" 2019
- Council Baradel Elects Matthew J. Bernhardt as Director
- Maryland Super Lawyers 2018 Recognizes Nine Council Baradel Attorneys
- Maryland Super Lawyers 2017 Recognizes Eleven Council Baradel Attorneys
- Matthew J. Bernhardt Joins CBKN as an Associate