- Maryland, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1990
- New York, 2000
- Virginia, 2018
Michael N. Russo, Jr.
Michael N. Russo, Jr. is a partner of Council, Baradel, Kosmerl & Nolan, P.A. and serves as the firm's financial officer.
Mr. Russo's practice includes real estate title litigation, insurance law, real property and general civil, commercial and business law.
Mr. Russo began his career as a Law Clerk to the Honorable H. Chester Goudy, Jr. of the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County. Since 1989, Mr. Russo has been in private practice. His clients include real property title insurance and general liability insurance companies and self-insured companies; financial and lending institutions; and, small and medium sized businesses requiring general business planning and legal advice. Mr. Russo also represents individuals in business and real property disputes and other legal matters.
In addition, Mr. Russo participates in numerous professional and civic associations in his industry and community. He is an active member of the American Land Title Association (ALTA); the District of Columbia Land Title Association (DCLTA) (Past President); the Maryland Land Title Association; the American Bar Association; the Maryland, D.C., and New York State Bar Associations; the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM); the Arts Council of Anne Arundel County (President); United Way of Central Maryland; and the Volunteer Center for Anne Arundel County. Mr. Russo currently holds and has held various leadership positions within many of these respective associations.
Mr. Russo has been a presenter and instructor at continuing professional education (Title Agent and Producer licensing) and continuing legal education courses.
Mr. Russo was admitted to practice law in Maryland in 1988. He was also admitted to practice in the District of Columbia in 1990, New York in 2000, and Virginia in 2018.
Honors / Awards
- Whats Up? Annapolis Magazine Leading Lawyer in Real Estate Law 2016-2021
- Super Lawyers - 2019-2021
- District of Columbia Land Title Association (DCLTA) – Past President
- American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- Title Counsel
- Claims Administration Committee
- Liaison Committee with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
- American Bar Association – TIPS Section, Title Litigation Committee
- Maryland Land Title Association – Board of Directors, Chair Agency Committee
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Section Council to the Business Law Section (2002-2004)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Arts Council of Anne Arundel County – Board of Directors, President (2018 - present)
- United Way of Central Maryland, Community Partnership Board of Anne Arundel County – Board of Directors
- Volunteer Center for Anne Arundel County, a non-profit association "Helping People Volunteer." – Board of Directors (2003-2009)
- Testimony before the District of Columbia City Council on Tax Sale Act of 2013 (October 2013)
- “Bankruptcy Issue in Title Claims” - Annual Meeting, American Land Title Association (ALTA) Palm Beach, Florida (October 2013)
- “Keeping it Within the Policy: Avoiding Additional Liability” - Business Strategies Conference, American Land Title Association, Oklahoma City, OK (March 2013)
- “Claims Avoidance and Management” - 1st Annual Convention, DC Land Title Association, Washington Harbor, MD (June 2011)
- Represented buyers and seller in sale of apartment buildings in the District of Columbia including compliance with the Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (“TOPA”).
- Represented parties in implication of Historical Preservation Easements to sale of real estate.
- Represented National Title Insurance Underwriters in broad range of coverage and claims matters with exposures in excess of one hundred million dollars.
- Represented settlement companies in business management, ALTA Best Practices and their relationships with their customers and underwriters.
- Represented franchised automobile dealers in their relationships with their customers, government regulators, business practices; franchisors and lenders.
- Represented automobile financial institutions in developing their regulatory compliance program, defending against claims of lender liability and commercial enforcement litigation.
- Represented individuals in issues unique to acquisition and development of waterfront properties on the Chesapeake Bay
- Represented individuals and small companies in business organization, start up and management issues.
Selected Appellate Decisions:
- York Roofing, Inc. v. Adcock, 634 A.2d 39, 333 Md. 158 (Md. 1993)
- Heat & Power Corp. v. Air Products & Chemicals, Inc., 578 A.2d 1202, 320 Md. 584 (Md.1990)
- Superior Bank, F.S.B. v. Tandem Nat. Mortg., Inc., 197 F.Supp.2d 298 (D. Md. 2000)
- Miller v. Ryder Truck Rental, Inc., 198 F.R.D. 70 (D. Md. 2000)
- Trustee 1245 13th Street, NW No. 608 Trust v. Anderson, 905 A.2d 181 (D.C. 20(6))
- In re Williams, 400 B.R. 47 (Bankr. Md. 2008)
- Wilder v. Toyota Motor Credit Co. 290 Fed .Appx. 601 (4th Cir. 2008)
- Juergens v. Urban Title Services, Inc. , 533 F.Supp.2d 64 (0 . DC 2008); 652 F.Supp.2d 40 (D. DC 2010); 689 F.Supp.2d 94 (D. DC 2010); 770 F.Supp.2d 227 (D. DC 2011)
- Alcazar Tenants' Ass'n v. Smith Property Holdings, L.P., 981 A.2d 1202 (D.C. 2009)
- Steward v. Moskowitz, 5 A.3d 638 (D.C. 2010)
- In re Ostroff, 433 B.R. 442 (Bankr. DC 2010)
- Bopp v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. , 740 F.Supp.2d 12 (D. DC 2010)
- Han v. Southeast Academy of Scholastic Excellence Public Charter School, 32 A.3d 413 (D.C. 2011)
- OneWest Bank, FSB v. Marshall, 18 A.3d 715 (D.C. 2011)
- Robinson v. Georgetown Court Condo., LLC, 39 A.3d 1286 (D.C. 2012)
- U.S. Bank, NA, v. 1905 2nd Street NE, LLC, March 06, 2014 --- A.3d ----, 2014 WL ---------, 12-CV-608 (D.C. 2014)
- Catholic University of America School of Law (J.D., 1988)
- Lafayette College (B.A., 1985)
- Twelve Council Baradel Attorneys Recognized in What's Up? Magazine's "Leading Lawyers" 2021
- Fifteen Council Baradel Attorneys Recognized by Maryland Super Lawyers 2021
- Twelve Council Baradel Attorneys Recognized in What's Up? Magazine's "Leading Lawyers" 2020
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Joins Board of Leadership Anne Arundel
- Seventeen Council Baradel Attorneys Recognized by Maryland Super Lawyers 2020
- Sixteen Council Baradel Attorneys Recognized in What's Up? Magazine's "Leading Lawyers" 2019
- ALTA "Navigating Cyber Insurance" Presentation by Michael N. Russo, Jr.
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Speaks to Title Companies on Cyber Fraud Insurance
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Admitted to Practice Law in Virginia
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Appointed President of Arts Council of Anne Arundel County Board
- Joseph F. Devlin and Michael N. Russo, Jr. to Participate in MSBA Real Property Section Breakfast
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Spoke on D.C. Title Law Claims at DCLTA Spring Seminar
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. to Attend ALTA Springboard Conference in Fort Worth, Texas
- Michael N. Russo, Jr joined his wife Betsy Russo, Esquire of MCP Title Services, LLC in making a presentation to the District of Columbia Association of Realtors on the DC Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act.
- Mike Russo Participates in Congressional Briefing on Title Insurance Issues
- Mike Russo reviews new Maryland case on impact of Bankruptcy on property title.
- Mike Russo provides comments on new DC Court of Appeals decision on super-priority of DC Condo Liens over first Deeds of Trust.
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Elected to the Anne Arundel County Community Partnership Board for the United Way of Central Maryland.
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Elected to Board of Directors of the Arts Council for Anne Arundel County.
- Michael N. Russo, Jr. Elected President of the District of Columbia Land Title Association